A fence is one of the important parts of every home in which its main job is to provide border, privacy, and security. Moreover, a fence can also enhance the attractiveness of your outdoor living space. There are various types of fencing that you can pick based on your needs and taste.
The first consideration that you have to keep in mind when you are about to install a fence is the goal that you want to achieve. For instance, if you want to build a fence to simply keep the pets in your property, you can consider choosing a wire fence.
As the name suggests, you’re going to use wire – typically wire mesh – as the main material of the fence. For the posts, wood is commonly used due to its practicality.
However, a wire fence may not really give a superb aesthetic touch just like the picket or wrought iron do. Therefore, it’s the type of fence which works simply to provide a border.
Wire fence is also considered as the cheap type of fence that you can even install all by yourself. Even if you don’t have any building skills or a beginner on DIY projects, you can build a wire fence easily.
For you who want to install a wire fence all by yourself, here we share a simple tutorial on how to build a wire fence that you can add to your DIY projects list.
How to Build a Wire Fence
The tutorial below will show you how to build a wire fence that suits well to protects your pet from running out of your property. Prepare some elbow grease and be careful to finish the project.
Prepare these supplies:
- Farm fence wire
- Wood posts
- Brace wire
- Fence staple
- 2×4 wood boards
- Exterior grade nails
- Stakes or spraypaint
Prepare these tools:
- Posthole digger
- Tape measure
- Staple gun
Those are the supplies and tools that you have to prepare for this project.
Mark the Area
The first thing that you have to do is marking the area where you want to install your wire fence.
- The distance between each one post is usually around 15 – 20 feet apart.
- Use spray paint or stakes to mark each spot for the posts.
Install the Corner Posts
Since we’re going to use wood posts, the step is not really that complicated, you just have to make sure that they are installed securely and in a level position.
- You have to start with installing the corner posts since they will be the part of the posts which hold more tensions of the wire.
- Check this post about How to Install Fence Post Quickly all By Yourself with 6 Simple Steps for a comprehensive guide to install fence posts all by yourself.
- You also need to install the brace posts which work to help the corner posts to reduce their tension. The distance between the corner and brace posts should be about 8 feet along the fence line.
- Use the level to make sure that you install each post in a plumb position.
(You may also like: 4 Quick Steps on How to Remove Chain Link Fence Safely All by Yourself)
Add a Brace Wire
Brace wire works to stabilize the posts and installed them between two posts.
- Attach the fence staples to the bottom of the corner posts and the top of the brace post.
- Run the wire through the fence staple from the bottom of the corner posts to the top of the brace post. Make the wire kinda wrapping each post and braid the two sides of the diagonal wire.
- Drive the fence staples to tighten the brace wire.
Attach a Crosspiece
The crosspiece will be installed between the top of the corner post and brace posts that you have completed with the brace wire.
- Measure the distance between the two posts, and use the measurement to measure the length of the wood for the crosspiece.
- Secure the crosspiece wood with nails.
- After you secure the crosspiece, you need to add a brace lever to make it more sturdy. Cut the wood to 14 inches, place it under the crosspiece, insert it diagonally through the braid of the brace wire. Adjust the position of the brake lever until you get enough tension on the ground.
(Check this out: How to Install Electric Fence in the Garden with 8 Simple DIY Steps)
Install the Line Posts
Now, let’s start installing the line posts for your fence. The number of posts depends on the size of the area that you want to cover with the fence.
- Repeat the step on installing fence posts that you did before or see this post How to Install Fence Post Quickly all By Yourself with 6 Simple Steps.
Make a Fence Stretcher
Make your own fence stretcher to stretch a woven wore fence.
- Prepare two 2×4 wood boards.
- Drill 3 holes in each one of them and place bolts in the holes.
- You’re gonna hook the fence over those bolts so you can stretch it.
Install the Wire
The final step is installing the wire to the posts.
- Wrap some inches of the end of the wire fence to the corner post.
- Staple the wire to the posts securely.
- When you have attached the end of the wire fence to the corner post, stretch the fence with the stretcher.
- Always start attaching the wire from the top to the bottom of the posts.
(Recommended to read: How to Remove Fence Post That is Rotten All by Yourself with Only 3 Steps)
So that is the tutorial on how to build a wire fence which is so easy to follow. You don’t have to call an expert just to install a wire fence if you know the right techniques to build it.
Well, have a nice try on installing your very own wire fence!