Adding extra space to do various kinds of activities in your exterior area is always a good option to keep in mind when you have a plan to give some improvements to your beloved house. A patio is absolutely a good investment to make your outdoor living space look more adorable and feel more enjoyable.
From simply having some cups of relaxing tea to holding a fun outdoor party, you can do a lot of things on the patio. That’s why it’s one of the most favorite additions that a lot of homeowners love.
To complete a patio, you basically need some pieces of furniture like tables and chairs to provide a sitting area. Then, adding some decorative touch like potted plants, outdoor rugs, and string light will enhance its attractiveness.
For you who want to build a patio close to your house, you can install a door for easier access. There are three common options when it comes to the patio door which are the hinged door, sliding door, and folding door. Each one of the options offers different advantages to suit your needs and taste. Installing a door is also a good consideration if you want to have a covered patio.
(You may also like: How to Attach a Patio Roof to an Existing House with Only 5 Steps)
If you are familiar with the DIY projects, you can install a patio door all by yourself. The How to Install a Patio Door Tutorial below will show you how to do the job properly.
How to Install a Patio Door Tutorial
In this tutorial, we’re going to use the pre-hung door. As you may have known, this kind of door comes in a complete package. It’s offered at more expensive prices than the slab door, but it’s practically easier to install.
Prepare these supplies:
- Prehung Patio Door
- Wood shims
- Silicone caulk
- Drip edge
- Stainless steel 10d finishing nails
- Roll flashing
- Minimal expansion foam insulation
Prepare these tools:
- Tape measure
- Utility knife
- Putty knife
Those are the tools and supplies that you have to get in hands for this project.
Measure the Door
Before you buy the door for your patio, you have to know the size of the door that you need by measuring the rough opening.
- Measure the top, bottom, and each side of the rough opening.
- Use the smaller measurement of the horizontal and vertical sides of the rough opening to determine the dimensions of your patio door.
Test the Door
The first thing that you have to do is to test whether the door is fit or not.
- Place the door in rough opening.
- Adjust and shim from the inside of the door opening until you get the frame of the door in a plumb position.
Install the Drip Cap
Install the drip cap of the door to the rough opening and your house wrap.
- Cut the drip cap to similar measurement as the rough opening’s width.
- Use silicone caulk, install the drip cap to the top of the opening, on the sides, and the house wrap.
(Recommended to read: How to Make a Plastic Bottle Garden with Only 5 Easy Steps | DIY Project)
Install the Sill Pan
To install a sill plan, you may need to use roll flashing.
- Spread the silicone caulk to the bottom of the opening.
- Press down the sill pan properly.
Apply the Caulk
Carefully apply the caulk on the edged of the opening.
- Spread the caulk around the opening on the spot where the siding and house wrap meet.
- You may also need to spread some liberal beads on the bottom of the rough opening for the threshold to sit.
Attach the Door
For this step, you’re gonna need some help from a friend. Wear some protective gear like work gloves, eye goggles, and a dust mask.
- Tilt-up the door into the opening.
- Shim the patio door, make sure the door and frame are in the plumb position.
- Find any screw holes and install the shims under them for the threshold.
- Install shims on the sides and top of the frame use 12-inches space between the shims and frame.
- Drive screws into all the hinges.
- Drive 10d stainless finishing nails into the framing through the brickmould every about 12 inches, countersink the heads of the nails.
- Again, drive 10d stainless finishing nails from the inside into the framing through the shims, countersink the heads of the nails.
- Use a utility knife to score the excess shims, snap the sims off.
- Secure the threshold to the floor.
- Seal the crevice between the frame and wall by applying minimal expansion foam insulation, trim the excess after it sets. Cover it with trim, spread silicone caulk to the joint of the trim and wall.
- Apply the silicone caulk around the casing of the exterior door (the high-quality paintable caulk is highly recommended).
- Add nails to all of the holes.
(Check this out: How to Enclose a Patio with Drop Cloth | 5 Steps DIY Project)
So those are the steps that you can follow to install a patio door. The project is not really that easy but you can finish it properly of you know the right techniques.
You can actually read the manufacturer’s instruction that comes with the prehung door. The tutorial on How to Install a Patio Door above is just the basic guide, the installation way may vary due to the manufacturer’s instructions.
Installing a patio door is a very good idea to enhance its beauty and comfort. You can find various kinds of patio doors that you can pick based on your personal preference.
Don’t forget to use the recommended protective gear especially when you are dealing with harsh chemicals that may harm your skin, eyes, and respiratory system. You also will have contact with sharp objects that may cause you some injuries.
Well, let’s add this How to Install a Patio Door Tutorial to your DIY projects list right away!