Today, you can find a lot of DIY projects which turn unused stuff – that you may just throw them away – into surprising useful things. The shipping wood pallets turn into adorable dining tables, mason jars turn into chic lanterns, even shipping containers turn into swimming pools.
Of course, it’s a very clever way to recycle trashes which is beneficial both for us and mother nature. Moreover, if you are handy enough, you can create all of the things all by yourself at home. A lot of homeowners love to do some DIY projects to enhance the beauty and comfort of their home since it’s so fun to do.
For you who have a plan to decorate your beloved outdoor space with some DIY stuff, the plastic bottle planter can be a good idea to keep in mind. It’s a very cheap and easy project yet will make your garden look way more distinctive.
In fact, a plastic bottle garden is kinda popular these days, you can find a lot of inspirations which look so tempting to copy. You simply just need some used plastic bottles for the main materials and you can add various kinds of plants as you wish.
(You may also like: 5 Simple Steps on How to Make a Rockery Garden | Easy DIY Project)
Below, we share a simple tutorial on how to make a plastic bottle garden that you can add to your DIY projects list right away!
How to Make a Plastic Bottle Garden | DIY Project
Some of you may wonder about the safety of plastic bottles when you turn them into the garden planter, don’t worry because it’s not that dangerous. The plastics may release some toxins when it’s exposed to heat, but it’s just in a very tiny amount that will not harm both you and the plants.
Choose the Right Spots
You can either put the planters on the ground or hang them as you wish, but, choose the spot which is right for them. If not, your plants may not grow properly or even die.
Don’t put the plastic bottle planters on the area with excessive sunlight exposure. It can overheat the planter which then overheats the plant itself. Choose the spots with enough sunlight to keep the plants grow and survive properly.
Choose the Plants
Before you start making the planter, think about what plants you need. You can plant various kinds of plants in the garden planters starting from the decorative plants to the herbs that you can consume.
- Do some research on what kinds of plants that suit best for plastic bottle planter. The popular options include basil, parsley, rosemary, oregano, succulents, cactus, and peas can be some considerations to keep in mind.
- Suit the plants that you want with the sites where you want to put your plastic bottle planters.
Choose the Bottles
There are various types of plastic bottles that you can find which are mainly varied by the shape and colors.
- For planters, the plastic bottles with light colors or transparent (like Sprite or Cokes) are the best options since they can let the sunlight to flow through.
- The bottles should also be durable enough since you’re going to place them in the outdoor area. They have to be able to stand the harsh weather conditions over time.
Create the Layout
To make the plastic bottle planters add a more attractive touch to the overall look of your outdoor living space, you have to arrange them beautifully.
- If you want to simply place them on the ground, you can place several planters on the corner of your patio or garden. Arrange them based on the colors and plants that you choose.
- If you prefer to hang them, you can either use string or attach them to the fence. Just make sure that the bottles are securely hung and won’t fall when the wind blows or heavy rain comes.
(Check this out: How to Hang String Lights in Backyard without Trees with Only 3 Steps)
Make the Planters
Now, it’s time to turn those plastic bottles into some catchy planters to decorate your garden in a creative way.
Prepare these supplies:
- Used plastic bottles
- Seeds, seedlings, or plants
- Potting soil
- Acrylic paint (optional)
- Durable twine (optional)
Prepare these tools:
- Small shovel or spoon
- Hole punch
- Paintbrushes (optional)
Follow these steps:
- Wash the used bottles and dry them up.
- Cut the top or the sides of the bottle for the plants, based on the design that you want. Sandpaper the edge of the bottles for a more even result.
- If you want to colorize your bottles, you can use acrylic paint. Just paint them with your desired colors, and let dry. (You can skip this step if you want to keep it original)
- Make small holes for drainage on the bottom or the other side of the bottles. Don’t make big holes, just make sure that they allow the water to flow through properly.
- (For hanging planters) Punch holes on each side of the bottles that you will use to attach the strings or twines to hang the bottles. Make sure that the holes line up with each other. Cut the rope and attach them to the holes.
- Add enough amount of soil to the planter.
- Place the seeds, seedlings, or the plants into the soil properly.
Easy, right? Those are the steps that you need to follow when you want to make a plastic bottle garden. Of course, this project is so fun to do which also won’t cost you a lot.
You can experiment with the design of your plastic bottles and the layout as you wish. Moreover, you can also find tons of inspirations on the internet that you can copy right away.
Well, have a nice try on creating your very own plastic bottle garden then!