Decorating an outdoor living space is always a very fun thing to do. Who doesn’t want to have a beautiful backyard that you can enjoy with your family and friends? Well, adding a rocker garden can always be a considerable thought to keep in mind.
As the name suggests, rock is the main material that you’re going to use when you want to make a rockery garden. This kind of landscaping has become more and more popular these days. A lot of homeowners choose it to be the major focal point of their beloved outdoor living space.
Yeap, once you add a rockery garden on your backyard it will be the main attraction that grabs everyone’s attention. The combination of big rocks and beautiful plantations create a very attractive decor item that everyone will surely adore.
If you are a handy DIYer, you can create your own rockery garden all by yourself without any helps from an expert gardener. The rocks and plants are easily available in local stores or you can even find them online.
(You may also like: How to Hang String Lights in Backyard without Trees with Only 3 Steps)
With a little bit of creativity, you can have a gorgeous rockery garden in no time without costing you an extra budget. The tutorial on how to make a rockery garden below will guide you to do the job easily.
How to Make a Rockery Garden | DIY Project
Whether you have a small or big backyard, a rocker garden can always suit the available space you have. It depends on your needs to determine the size of your rockery garden.
Find the Right Spot
When it comes to the rockery garden, you’re gonna deal with the alpine plants. They are the most suitable kinds of plants to grow in a rock garden. The first step is to find the right spot for your rockery garden which will make the plants grow properly.
- Find the spot in your backyard which is perfectly exposed to sunlight since alpines require a lot of light exposure to grow well.
- Make sure that the area is not covered by trees or shrubs which can block the sunlight.
Purchase the Rocks and Plants
As mentioned above, you can easily find the rocks and plants for your rockery garden both offline and online.
- Rocks which come from the reclamation yard are most suitable for a rockery garden, you can find ones from the local source.
- There are a lot of alpines that you can choose, most favorite options include alyssum, sedum, yarrow, primrose, and dianthus. You can also choose the plantations by deciding the color theme of your rockery garden.
Prepare the Spot
Now, let’s prepare the spot where you want to build your rockery garden on. Make sure that you won’t move the area once you have chosen one.
Prepare these tools:
- Garden trowel
- Work gloves
Follow these steps:
- Remove any weeds and grass on the site that you have decided. Make sure that you remove them from their root system. You can simply pull the weeds and use the shovel or trowel to dig them. It’s important to prevent other weeds to grow next time.
- As an alternative, you can also use landscape fabric to block the growth of weeds.
Place the Rocks
Before placing the rocks, you have to know how you want your rocker garden to look like. It will determine how you have to place each rock for the garden.
Prepare these supplies:
Follow these steps:
- If you want to make a circular rockery garden, then start by creating the perimeter of the circle with your desired diameter. Then, fill the center with soil.
- If you want to make a mountain rockery garden, start by placing the largest rocks as the base. Layer each level with topsoil and place the smaller rocks on top of it. You can decide the height as you desire or by determining the space that you have and the slope of the land.
Add the Plants
Now, it’s time to add the plants for your rockery garden.
- While the plants are still in their pots, arrange them based on your own imagination. You can arrange them based on the colors, patterns, or texture as you wish.
- When you have decided on the layout of the garden, you can start planting them.
- You can add the decorative rocks after you finish planting one section of the plant groups.
So that is the simple tutorial on how to make a rockery garden which shows you an easy way to enhance the beauty of your outdoor living space. You can do the steps all by yourself without any needs to call some help from a pro.
Rockery garden is one of the good options that you can keep in mind when you have a plan to decorate your back or even front yard. They are easy to build without costing you a lot.
To help you more in doing this project, we share some tips that you can apply:
- Start the project right after winter – The soft and damp soil will ease you to build a rockery garden. You can easily adjust the position of the rocks when the ground is damper and softer. But, don’t plant your plants yet.
- Start planting in spring – Of course, spring is always a good season to plant most of the plantations, especially alpines. Therefore, start planting your the plants in spring can be a wiser idea.
- Add rock mulch – To prevent the growth of weeds in the next future, you can add some rock mulch to your rockery garden. Choose the rocks with similar kinds or at least color scheme to the main rocks of the garden to create a harmonious overall look.
Well, let’s add this tutorial on how to make a rockery garden to your DIY projects list now!