One of the essential accessories that work to maintain your swimming pool is the filter. Of course, you can’t have an enjoyable swimming pool with crystal clear water without a filter doing its job properly.
There are two types of popular pool filters which are D.E filter and sand filter, each one of them has plus and minus points that you can choose based on your needs. But, when it comes to the most favorite option, sand filter always gets the number one place.
Well, the main reasons why sand filter become everyone’s favorite is that it’s easy to maintain and affordable to purchase but still offer you an efficient filtration system to keep your pool water clear. Therefore, choosing a sand filter is always a good idea.
To thoroughly clean your pool, you can manually vacuum it. As the name implies, you’re going to remove debris on the floor and the walls of the tools that you can do it easily by yourself. You just need to prepare the necessary pool and have some bonding time with your beloved swimming pool.
Below, we share the simple way on how to vacuum pool with sand filter that will show you to finish the job easily.
(You may also like: How to Raise Cyanuric Acid in Pool with 3 Simple Steps Safely)
How to Vacuum Pool with Sand Filter
Though vacuuming a pool with sand filter is not really recommended but you still can do it in some cases. Just make sure that you set the filter in Waste mode when you are vacuuming a pool with sand filter.
Prepare these tools:
- Pool vacuum head
- Vacuum hose
- Telescopic pole
- Skim vac or vacuum plate
Get those tools in hand to vacuum your swimming pool manually.
Clean Out the Pump
Once you get the tools assembled, you can start the process by cleaning out the pump first.
- Turn the pool pump off.
- Clean the pump and skimmer basket.
- Put the components back in place.
Backwash the Filter
Before you vacuum the walls and floor of your pool, you have to backwash the pool filter.
- Position the multiport valve of your filter to backwash mode.
- Turn on the pool pump for about 2 minutes.
- See the site glass to check the clarity of the water.
- Turn off the pump.
- Position the multiport valve to rinse mode.
- Turn on the pump for about 1 minute.
- Turn off the pump.
(Recommended to read: How to Level Ground for Pool with Only 6 Steps | Fun DIY Project)
Turn off the Main Drain
After you backwash the pool, turn off the man drain.
- Find the handle in from of the pool pump.
- Position the handle to ‘off main drain’ mode.
Prepare the Vacuum
You need to prepare the assembled vacuum tools before start vacuuming.
- Submerge the vacuum head with the hose and telescopic pole into the pool.
- Fill the vacuum hose with water until you no longer notice the bubbles come out of the hose.
- Block the open end of the vacuum hose with your hand to let the water in and attach it to the vac plate.
- Place the vacuum components in the skimmer.
- Turn the pump on.
Now, it’s time to deal with the real job. You have to slowly vacuum the pool to ensure that you clean it thoroughly and prevent cloudy water from happening.
- Turn on the pool pump
- Start moving the vacuum back and port from the shallow end of the swimming pool.
- You may find that the vacuum stuck, turn off the pump for some minutes, and turn it back on.
- Make sure that you reach the corners of the pool as well.
Finish the Job
When you are sure enough that you have vacuumed the pool thoroughly, you can remove the vacuum equipment from the pool.
- Clean the skimmer baskets.
- Open back the main drain.
- Repeat the backwash process to finish the step.
(Check this out: How to Clear a Cloudy Pool with Baking Soda with Only 4 Steps)
So those are several steps that you have to do to vacuum your pool with sand filter. Vacuuming the pool is regular maintenance which is good to prevent algae bloom. It’s a very easy job that can give you a lot of benefits. There is no need to hire an expert to keep your swimming pool look adorable and feel enjoyable all the time.
Well, let’s add this How to Vacuum Pool with Sand Filter to your regular swimming pool maintenance list now!