As a temporary solution to the housing problem – a dormitory – is valued by students and young families for its budget. To renovate a dorm room you do not need a significant financial investment, the main problem is the limited space. Many tricks tell you how to arrange a room in the dorm to make it comfortable, stylish, and functional.
Zoning: what to look for
From a modest space, residents try to get maximum comfort. Students need a space in which it is comfortable to live and study, and, on occasion, it is not shameful to invite friends over. Young couples have different priorities, they want to have a bedroom, living room, and study, often a children’s room and a kitchen.
In such circumstances, good zoning is essential, because it determines how effectively each inch of the room will be used. Typically, zones are determined simply by the arrangement of furniture, it is clear that the sleeping area is where the bed stands.
A dorm room is used as a studio room, but, because of the small area, it is much more difficult to allocate space for all the necessary zones. The following zoning techniques can be used to plan a dorm room:
- Separate the sleeping area. This is not necessary if only one person lives in the room. In other cases, it is better to isolate the bed somehow: the private area creates privacy, helps to tune in to rest, and the guests do not have to contemplate the sleeping place. Using a blank partition in a small room is not recommended; it is replaced by a screen, an open (through) shelving unit, or a light (openwork) partition. Sometimes curtains look stylish.
- Observe the proportions. Often there is a mistake when the interior of a small room in a dormitory is repulsed by the bed. In an apartment or house, the bedroom is not a central room, and this should also be taken into consideration when arranging it in the dormitory. The bed should not stand on the aisle or at the entrance. The best solution would be to allocate space for the sleeping area on the far side of the entrance; there is also a convenient way to define the work area (office). The remaining area will accommodate the living area and (if provided) the kitchen.
- Consider lighting. Free distribution of natural light is difficult, so do not do without a few lights. Lighting, along with partitions and curtains, is also used for zoning, and this is important for a multifunctional space. You can work or read without disturbing whoever is resting if you concern yourself with several light sources located at convenient points.
- Take advantage of the room’s features. Some rooms have unusual layouts that include niches, protrusions, and other nooks. They seem useless and even disturbing, but they can serve a good purpose. In the niche, you can arrange a storage place, and in the nook – a workplace. If the room has high ceilings, it may be possible to arrange a second-tier and move the sleeping area there.
- Do not get carried away zoning. Zoning is good in moderation, especially in a small space. To make the room not seem overwhelmed, mobile systems (sliding doors, screens, or curtains) should be light, allowing air and light to pass through. It is not recommended to use a regular closet or erect an arch – such a solution turns the room into a maze.
Got into the design and forgot that your essay is due soon? Don’t worry, the student service will come to the rescue. This website is staffed by professionals who will help you cope with any work promptly and qualitatively.
How to visually enlarge the room
Small space forces to turn to the following techniques of visual increase in volume:
- Base the design of the dorm room on light shades. The combination of light walls with a white ceiling – the best option for a modest-sized space. You should refuse bright color contrasts and large prints on wallpaper and textiles; they should be replaced by small, not conspicuous patterns.
- Extending the borders will help to glossy stretch the ceiling. The same effect has a photo wallpaper, if they depict the prospect: going into the distance road, cityscape.
- Make the room airier and brighter help surfaces with reflective properties. Usually, it’s furniture with a mirror coating: a cabinet window, regular cabinets with glossy facades or closets, countertops. The mirror due to the reflective surface also increases the room and adds light. Furniture with a mirror surface has a significant disadvantage: it gets dirty easily and requires additional care.
- A typical mistake is the use of classic curtains, layered and with draperies. Such decoration to the floor, even if it is light, is guaranteed to reduce the depth of the room. In the design of a dorm room, it is better to do without curtains – in modern interiors, this is a common solution. An alternative can be blinds, roller blinds, or Roman blinds, necessarily with a pale, unobtrusive pattern. If you can not imagine the comfort without a decorated window, think about an asymmetric model (one side of the window). True, such a drape looks good only in classic interiors.
- In the decor, you should refuse large fixtures of any format. Their place will be successfully taken by models of simple geometric shapes. If the design uses classical traditions, choose neat chandeliers and sconces with light shades and modest decor. In a room where several different zones are forced to unite, it is impossible to abandon local lighting; at the same time, all sconces and table lamps must differ little in color.
Style and colors
The optimal style for the design of the dorm room is minimalism. It creates the effect of open space due to the almost complete abandonment of any decor. Based on minimalism, other styles are developed: modern, Scandinavian, loft, high-tech. They all have similar features, can be easily combined, and allow you to make your home beautiful and comfortable.
All of the above styles widely use a light palette: white, shades of gray, and beige; they are complemented by sandy and different variations of brown. Interior, decorated only in light colors, most seem dull, but the dominance of light palette is not necessarily.
Bright colors should not be used in the decoration of the walls, but you can make accents cushions, carpet, bedspreads. Also, you should not abuse the quantity, two or three tones are enough.
Darker shades of brown and gray are used in dosage. They are suitable for lovers of loft and high-tech, fans of ecological design and country.
These are simple and affordable ways to decorate your dorm room. Well, if you got carried away with decorating your dorm and slightly neglected your studies – no problem. Students always find a way out of difficult situations, especially if a special service comes to the rescue. Some experienced professionals will not leave in trouble. Show the talent of the designer, and entrust the tests and law essay profy writing to professionals.