Wood pellets are cylindrical-shaped pressed wood waste. They are an environmentally friendly biofuel and have a number of advantages over conventional firewood and other energy sources.
What are wooden pellets?
The premium wood pellets are a granular type of cylindrical shaped solid fuel, made from compressed agricultural waste from the woodworking industry. The main materials for the manufacture of fuel pellets are:
- sawdust, wood chips, bark, slabs of coniferous and deciduous (best option) wood species;
- sunflower husk, rapeseed, straw of various grain crops, corn, cake and much more;
- household waste.
Lignin is the basic binder substance of plant origin, it is a natural polymer contained in almost any plant, capable of plasticizing during granulation under the influence of a high temperature.
Advantages of wooden pellets
The main advantages of pellets:
- environmental friendliness;
- fire safety (pellets are less prone to self-ignition than other types of solid fuels);
- optimal humidity and density;
- remarkable calorific value, one ton of fuel pellets is enough to produce 3500 kWh of thermal energy;
- constant and very high bulk density, which facilitates the logistics, loading and transportation of pellets;
- homogeneity of the structure in terms of shape and size makes it possible to automate all the processes of loading, loading and burning fuel pellets in boilers.
So wooden pellets are a reasonable substitution to other fuel materials for heating boilers and stoves.
Usage of wooden pellets
Wooden pellets are widely used in heating boilers. But also wooden pellets are widely used in the grill ovens where you can cook delicious barbecue and other dishes.
Wood pellets are actively used by farmers as flooring for goats, horses, cows and other animals. Pellets absorb liquid and unpleasant odours well in paddocks, stables. They are an excellent alternative to straw, which has been used for centuries for bedding in barns and stables. But fungi and other pathogenic microorganisms quickly grow in straw, which lead to the development of allergic diseases in livestock.
Therefore, the use of pellets is the best option:
- pellets are easier to transport and store, animals do not eat them;
- they are warm, soft and comfortable for cattle.
Wood pellets are often used by manufacturers of cat litter due to the ability to absorb a lot of moisture, neutralise odours. Pets like soft, non-sticky pellets.
How to choose fuel pellets
The pellet quality can vary in different manufacturers. It is influenced by the raw materials quality used for production, the conditions of storage and transportation.
You should buy products from trusted manufacturers, and pay attention to the following criteria when choosing:
- Size – this is not only the diameter of the granules themselves, but also the presence of broken, crumbled particles in the package. Don’t buy pellets if there is a lot of rubbish in the package.
- Take one granule from the package and try to break it. If the pellet crumbles in your hands – a product is of poor quality.
- Place the pellet in water. If it surfaced, the quality is poor, if it drowned, it’s good.
Buy wooden pellets from trusted manufacturers to ensure high-quality and reasonable consumption.