When you go to a local hardware store or ask Google, ‘What is the most popular flooring today?’, vinyl flooring will be on top of the list. A lot of homeowners love to choose vinyl flooring to decorate their beloved homes.
Vinyl flooring is made of polyvinyl chloride plastic (PVC) which is good for you who are looking for synthetic tiles instead of natural ones. It often becomes an alternative for those homeowners to get flooring that resembles the natural ones but is offered at more affordable prices.
Besides its versatility and affordability, vinyl flooring is also very durable and easy to maintain. You can install them in a high-traffic area without worrying about their appearance and comfort. Cleaning them is also a piece of cake, there’s no extra effort or pricey chemical needed at all.
(You may also like: Post navigation How to Deter Stray Cats Humanely All by Yourself)
So, adding vinyl flooring to your shopping cart when you are planning to decorate your new house or replace the old tiles is always a great idea. To help you to get the best one, we share with you a complete buying guide on How to Choose the Best Vinyl Flooring below.
How to Choose the Best Vinyl Flooring
Vinyl flooring type
In general, you will find two types of vinyl flooring which are sheet and tile flooring.
- Sheet flooring – As the name implies, this type of vinyl flooring comes in sheet design with common measurements of 6 or 12 feet wide. They are very easy to install and water-resistant.
- Tile flooring – If you are looking for the one which resembles the look of ceramic tiles, this one is the right choice. They are designed in stile sizes which are commonly 9 or 12 inches square.
Vinyl flooring finishes
For the finishes, there are three options that are commonly available in the market which include:
- No-wax finish – As the name implies, this type of finish isn’t protected with some kind of waxing which makes it the lightest type of vinyl flooring finishing. You can’t really choose this type of vinyl flooring to decorate areas with high traffic and exposed to dirt or moisture.
- Urethane finish – The urethane vinyl flooring is good for areas with moderate traffic since they are more durable. You can also easily clean this type of vinyl flooring regularly.
- Enhanced urethane finish – The toughest option of all which is perfect to decorate areas with high traffic. They are resistant to scratches and stains which can last very long.
Check the budget
When it comes to flooring, vinyl is always the most affordable option above all compared to other materials like ceramic, stone, and wood. Besides vinyl is manufactured material (which makes it inexpensive), it’s also much easier to install.
Averagely, you will need to spend around $2 up to $12 per square foot to get the vinyl flooring installed. If you are handy enough, you can even install vinyl flooring all by yourself which will save your budget a lot.
Learn their features
- Easy to install – As mentioned above, one of the plus points of vinyl flooring is its ease of installation. The easiest option is the one that comes in a peel and stick design where you can apply it to the prepared subfloor. You can also install vinyl flooring over existing vinyl, concrete, plywood, and hardwood flooring.
- Durability – High-quality vinyl flooring which is properly maintained can last up to 15 years. The one which comes with a layered finish can boost up its lifespan even if you install it in a high-traffic area. You can also find manufacturers which offer up to 15 years of warranty for the vinyl flooring.
- Stain resistance – Not only more durable, but vinyl flooring with layered stains is also stain resistant which makes it easier to maintain on a regular basis. The ones which don’t come with such protection may require occasional polishing as time goes by.
Learn the thickness
Known for its resilience, vinyl flooring has good elasticity. Medium-range vinyl flooring usually feels soft enough to touch, so you don’t have to worry about comfort. If you have an extra budget, you can also find vinyl sheets and tiles which come which a padded layer, providing you extra comfort when you walk across and absorb sound very well.
Pick a style
Of course, you can’t have flooring which doesn’t flow beautifully with the decorating style of your living room. When it comes to vinyl flooring, you will find tons of options that you can pick based on your needs and taste.
Vinyl flooring is available in abundant choices of colors and patterns which is, in another side, may confuse you with picking the right one. The safest way is to install a vinyl flooring that matches the overall look of the room, for instance, a neutral-colored pattern is good for a minimalist decorating style. However, you can mix some patterns in one decor if you want to go more distinctive in a beautiful way.
Learn the maintenance
With vinyl flooring, maintenance is fun! There’s no need to put extra care to keep it looking adorable and feeling comfortable for years.
On a daily basis (or at least weekly) you can just sweep your vinyl flooring to clean the dust and dirt. Then, mop the flooring by using a cleaning solution that is specifically manufactured for vinyl flooring.
Although vinyl flooring is also known for its great durability, it might be prone to rips and tears, especially if you install it in a heavy-duty area. Once it’s ripped, you can’t do anything but replace it. This issue often happens to sheet vinyl flooring. Therefore, it’s always recommended to get high-quality vinyl flooring which can be more expensive but more durable.
Further, vinyl flooring can easily fade away when it’s exposed to direct sunlight constantly. If you happen to install them close to your window, it would be wise if you cover them with curtains when the sun shines too bright.
(Image source: depositphotos.com)