You may not really keep a lot of thoughts in mind when you are on a hunt for a toilet seat. Most of you may just go buy one that simply attracts you.
Toilet seat is an essential feature of every home which makes it important to get the best one. Check out some points that you can consider to get the right one on our toilet seat buying guide below.
Toilet Seat Buying Guide
Determine the size
First, let’s measure your toilet when you are planning to buy a new toilet seat. Once you know the length of your toilet, it will be easier to get the right seat shape.
Here’s what you can do:
- Prepare a tape measure or, at least, a 20″ long ruler.
- Find the hole in which the seat would be bolted into the toilet.
- Start the measurement from the middle to the front of the toilet bowl.
Now you have noted down the length of your toilet, you can determine the right seat type that suits you best.
Here’s what you can consider:
- For round seats = 16.5″
- For elongated seats = 18.5″
Learn the types
As mentioned above, you will find two types of toilet shapes which are round and elongated. Most homeowners just go buy whatever attracts them, but this is not how it works. With the measurement above, you can determine the right one, and it would be best if you also learn how each type is designed.
- Elongated toilet seat – As the name suggests, this type of toilet shape comes in an oval shape with a longer figure. Some toilet experts stated that elongated toilet seats are more comfortable than others though may be more expensive. You can also find a lot of various designs of the seat that can match your bathroom decorating style.
- Round toilet seat – Compared to the elongated seat, the round one is shorter which is the best-selling option up until today. This is the right toilet seat when you have limited space and a limited budget.
Choose the materials
Today, you will find a lot of materials that are used to build toilet seats but there are two options which become everyone’s favorite:
- Plastic toilet seat – Plastic is known for its affordability, durability, versatility, and easy maintenance. You will find it easy to have a plastic toilet seat in your bathroom.
- Wood toilet seat – If you are looking for a very comfortable toilet seat, the one which is made of wood is surely a go. The wood toilet seat also has great durability and is resistant to scratches. However, you might need to prepare an extra budget to buy a wood toilet seat.
Besides those two popular materials, you can also find some other options like ceramic, vinyl, stainless steel, and brass. Each of the materials has pros and cons, so you might want to do a little research to find the one that really suits your needs and taste.
Pick a style
If you are the type of person that looks for a toilet seat that also works to beautify your bathroom decor, then you need to get the one with a style. Mainly, we are talking about the color of the seat here.
Of course, white is the favorite color when it comes to the toilet seat since it can flow with a lot of decorating styles easily. If you want something which is more distinctive, there’s a wide range of colors that you can find in the market today.
The safest idea is that you can get a toilet seat that creates a harmonious overall look with the existing decorating style. For instance, a soft green toilet seat is good to give a splash color to a toilet with a warm color palette.
Check the compatibility
This point is important for you who are about to replace your old toilet seat. You have to make sure that the new toilet seat is properly compatible with your old toilet.
The main thing that you can refer to is the type of seat, whether you need a round or elongated toilet seat. If the seat doesn’t fit properly, you will need to return it back.
Moreover, you should also understand the features of your toilet that you need to consider like the proper type of water hookup.
Learn the installation
In general, toilet seats are not really difficult to install in which you need to use a few bolts and some elbow grease. You can complete all the steps not more than an hour if you are handy enough. However, this is only applicable to you who need a simple toilet seat with a lower price range.
If you need a toilet with extra attachments and features, the installation may get more complicated. It would be a wiser idea if you just call a professional to help you out.
That being said, learning how the installation of the toilet seat that you’d like to buy is really important.
Of course, durability is a must-have quality. You don’t want to keep replacing the seat twice a year since it would be a waste.
Talking about durability, the materials that build the seat is the main factor. A wood toilet seat is way more durable than cheap plastic but you may need to spend more.
If you are planning to buy a toilet seat online, you can refer to the customer reviews to learn the durability of each product.
Get the comfort
Your toilet seat is nothing when it feels uncomfortable, especially if you tend to sit on it for a long time. Below are some points that can determine the comfort of your toilet seat:
- Shape – This depends on your need to pick an elongated or round toilet seat.
- Material – Wood seat tends to feel warmer than plastic if this is what you are looking for.
- Softness – A padded toilet seat is a must-buy option.
- Ergonomic – You don’t have to worry about the comfort of an ergonomic toilet seat.
- Stability – A less durable toilet seat can wiggle, really.