Deep-cleaning your kitchen sounds like a very tiring job, but you have to do this anyway, especially when you haven’t taken care of the room in a while. You can’t have a kitchen that looks like a complete mess.
Read our complete guide on how to deep clean your kitchen to help get the job done effectively all by yourself below.
How to Deep Clean Your Kitchen
Prepare these supplies:
- Oven Cleaner
- White vinegar
- Mild dish soap
- Baking soda
- Dishwasher cleaner
- Cabinet cleaner
- Microwave-safe bowl
- Clean cloth
- Rubber gloves
- Used toothbrush
Follow these steps:
Start with quick cleaning
Yes, start with something that you can see in front of your face. Handle those dirty dishes and cluttered kitchen utensils before you start the deep-cleaning process. Execute the routine cleaning steps that you haven’t done in a while.
Clean the oven
Now, grab the oven cleaner that will clean it quickly and easily. You can just follow the manufacturer’s instructions to apply the cleaner. Normally, you will just have to spray the cleaner on the interior of the oven, leave it for quite some time, and wipe it down.
The smell of the oven cleaner can be quite strong, so make sure the air around the kitchen circulates properly.
Clean the microwave
While the oven cleaner works its magic, you can move to your microwave and clean it by following the steps below:
- Prepare a microwave-safe bowl, and fill it with a cup of water.
- Add a tablespoon of white vinegar to the water.
- Put the mixture in the microwave and heat it up until it reaches the boiling point.
- Turn off your microwave and let the mixture cool inside for several minutes.
- Take out the mixture and wipe the microwave with a clean cloth.
- If you find some stubborn grease, mix equal parts of vinegar and water or dish soap and water then use the mixture to wipe down the microwave.
Clean the stove
Now, let’s move the stove which can be so dirty with grease and crumbs. Here’s what you can do to clean your dirty stove:
- Wipe down the stove with a damp cloth and make sure to clean the crumbs that you find since they can get in the way during the cleaning process.
- For those who use a gas stove, remove the burners and grates and put them in the sink.
- Add a few drops of dish soap to your sponge and apply it to the stove.
- If the dish soap is not enough to handle your dirty stove, further clean it by applying the mixture of one part of white vinegar and two parts of baking soda, leave it for around 10 minutes, then wipe the residue with a soapy sponge.
- Clean the burners and grates with the same mixture of white vinegar and baking soda. Simply coat them with the cleaning mixture, leave it for around 10 minutes, and wipe them down.
Clean the sink
Cleaning the sink can be quite a lot, but you can actually get the job done easily by using simple home supplies.
- Add a few drops of dish soap to a damp sponge then wipe down the sink.
- To reach the difficult areas, use an old toothbrush to reach them.
- Once you have finished wiping the sink, clean the garbage disposal by pouring a half cup of white vinegar and a half cup of baking soda orderly.
- Cover the drain with the stopper so the mixture of the materials won’t react in your sink.
- Leave the mixture for around 15 minutes.
- Remove the stopper, pour some hot water, then flip the disposal.
If you have a stainless steel sink, you can use a mixture of vinegar, baking soda, and water to clean the surface instead of only using dish soap which may not be enough if the sink is extremely dirty. It’s because stainless steel sink is durable enough to handle abrasive materials.
Clean the dishwasher
To deep clean your dishwasher, you also have to handle the filter to ensure everything works well.
- Remove everything from the dishwasher until it’s completely empty.
- Clean the loose debris that you see around with a clean cloth.
- Next, find the filter of your dishwasher. Read the manual book if you can’t locate it.
- Once you have found the filter, run it under warm water and scrub it with an old toothbrush. Once you are sure that you have cleaned the filter thoroughly, reinstall it in the dishwasher.
- Use the dishwasher cleaner to finish the steps. Just follow the manufacturer’s instructions to get the step done properly.
(Read also: How to Decorate a Home Library | Easy Home Guide)
Clean the fridge
When it comes to cleaning the fridge, it’s not only about wiping here and there, but also to keep everything well-organized.
- Empty the fridge completely.
- Grab a plastic bowl and mix one quart of water with two tablespoons of baking soda.
- Spray the mixture on the interior of the fridge and wipe it down with a clean cloth.
- Throw away expired foods or unused items, so you can easily organize your clean fridge.
- Place similar types of foods in one place to create a convenient storage station.
Clean the storage furniture
The cabinets, cupboards, and drawers are essential to every kitchen, so you can’t skip cleaning them.
- Empty every storage station that you have.
- Remove loose debris with a duster and wipe with a damp cloth.
- Reorganize all the items inside the storage stations by throwing away any duplicates or unused items and giving the essentials their home.
To clean up your cabinet, here’s what you can do:
- Use a cabinet cleaner or all-purpose cleaner to wipe the entire cabinet inside and out.
- Continue wiping the appliances with white vinegar and dry them up with a clean cloth.
Clean the countertops
Start by removing everything from the countertop and wipe the surface with a mixture of water and dish soap. To finish the step, wipe again with a dry clean cloth.
Clean the floor
The very last step of this deep-cleaning process is to sweep and mop the floor. Remove the crumbs and debris that may be scattered on the floor then mop to clean the difficult dirt and grime.