Microcement is a finishing material that has gained popularity in recent times, due to its properties and the end effect that can be achieved. Microcement works particularly well in modern interiors, often used in lofts, industrial or minimalist style spaces.
What exactly is microcement? It is a combination of cement and a special blend of polymers, resulting in a thick consistency that allows thin layers to be applied to various surfaces. The thickness of the layer depends on the manufacturer’s recommendations and the composition of the specific microcement, but usually does not exceed 3 mm. Microcement has very good strength, making it suitable for finishing floors, walls or furniture. The surface of microcement can have a matt or glossy finish, depending on the impregnation sealer used.
Applications of microcement
Microcement can be used to finish a variety of surfaces both indoors and outdoors. It is most commonly used as a material for finishing floors, walls, kitchen and bathroom worktops or stairs. Its durability and resistance to damage make it ideal for a variety of spaces, regardless of their intended use. Microcement can be coloured in many different shades, so you can achieve an effect tailored to your individual needs and tastes. In this way, you can create original and modern interiors that stand out from the rest.
Microcement is also especially popular in trending interior designs – such as industrial style, where the raw and minimalist nature of this material emphasises the aesthetic of the style. In the loft style, microcement is often used to finish floors and walls to create a unified and cohesive effect and in the rustic style, microcement can be used to create unusual decorative elements such as fireplaces, staircases or stone walls.
Advantages of microcement
Microcement has gained a lot of popularity in recent years due to its properties and diverse applications. Here are some of the advantages of microcement:
- Durability and resistance: microcement is extremely durable and resistant to mechanical damage, scratches or abrasion. It is also resistant to moisture, making it ideal for bathrooms, kitchens or swimming pools.
- Ease of application: Microcement can be applied to a variety of surfaces, making it easy to apply and requiring no complicated construction processes.
- Seamless appearance: Microcement offers the possibility to obtain a smooth, uniform and seamless surface, which is very attractive from the point of view of aesthetics and ease of cleaning.
- Wide range of colours and textures: Microcement is available in a variety of colours and textures, allowing you to create almost any pattern and visual effect to suit your individual needs and tastes.
- Resistance to stains and dirt: Microcement is a stain and dirt resistant material, making it easy to keep clean and ideal for high traffic areas.
- Flexibility: Microcement is more flexible than traditional building materials such as concrete or ceramic tiles, making it less susceptible to cracking and damage from building movements or temperature changes.
Costs of microcement
When it comes to using microcement for interior design projects, one of the major concerns is the cost. Microcement prices per square meter can vary depending on factors like type of substrate, finish, and location. However, compared to traditional finishing materials, microcement is relatively affordable. The average cost ranges from $50 to $120 per square meter. Despite the initial cost, microcement is cost-effective in the long run due to its durability and low maintenance. When considering the cost of microcement, it is important to factor in material and labor costs to make an informed decision for your project.
Why should you choose microcement?
Microcement is a cost-effective choice because it allows you to create durable and aesthetically pleasing surfaces that will last a long time. Thanks to its flexibility and rich colour palette, you can create unique interiors that reflect your individual style and taste. Microcement is a material that will provide not only beauty but also functionality, making it an ideal choice for those who value quality and modernity.