There are a few reasons that homeowners want to move their hot tubs either it’s because they’re moving to a new house or just simply want to get a new view in a different spot. Even just by looking at the title, moving a hot tub is absolutely not an easy job because of its weight. Generally, a standard hot tub can weigh up from 500 pounds (260 kg) to 3000 pounds (1300 kg) in an empty state and up to 6000 pounds (2700 kg) with water.
Considering its weight alone, no one will blame you if you decide to hire a licensed professional. However, if you love trying a new challenge, then you might want to move your hot tub by yourself. Of course, you will need some help from a few people to lift the tub if you’re going to move the tub to a different spot in your yard. Don’t worry because we’re here to help you out with some steps that you can try.
(You may also love this: 9 Easy Steps on How to Change Sand in Pool Filter All by Yourself Quickly)
Below, there are some supplies and tools that you have to prepare to complete this job.
HOW TO MOVE A HOT TUB
Here is what you have to prepare and gather for a smooth moving process:
- 3 or more strong friends
- Measuring tape
- Moving straps
- Moving truck
- 2 or 3 moving furniture dollies
- Pump/hose/submersible pump
Plan the Route
The first step that you can do is plan the moving route where you will transport the hot tub.
- If you move the hot tub to a new house, you have to pass a few obstacles around the house until it reaches the moving truck. If the route has stairs to pass, then you’ll need an additional tool to slide the tub.
- For you who plan to move the tub to a different position within your home, plan it well so for smooth moving.
- If the route is narrow, you will also need to consider moving the hot tub to its side.
(You may also love this: How to Take Care of Your Yard: 14 Useful Lawn Mowing Tips)
Rent a Moving Truck
Once you’re done assessing the moving route, the next step is to book a moving truck. There are tons of truck rental companies you can book on the internet.
- Before renting a moving truck, please make sure that you know your tub’s size to get the right moving truck.
- Depending on the size of your hot tub, you may need to rent a box truck that is at least 15 feet long.
- Once you choose a specific moving company, make sure that they provide an additional feature like a loading ramp to make the move a smoother experience.
Recruit Some Help
Whether you’re moving the tub within your yard or into a new house, you will still need some hands to lift it up. Don’t ever try to lift the hot tub alone yourself since it’s too heavy to handle and you don’t want to harm yourself.
- Depending on the size of your hot tub, you will need at least three to six people to help you out.
- You can ask friends, family members, or neighbors as long as they’re strong enough to lift the hot tub and inform them about your moving a few days before.
- If you’re unable to find help from your close circle, it means you would need to hire labor-only movers.
(You may also love this: How to Level Ground for Pool with Only 6 Steps | Fun DIY Project)
Turn Off the Power
- Before draining the hot tub, turn off your hot tub power and unplug any electrical connection.
- Remove all cords so that nothing is dangling from the hot tub.
- For all the cords, place them in waterproof packaging or any box or plastic to prevent them from being lost or wet.
Drain and Clean
Draining your hot tub water is indeed necessary because it’s impossible to travel the tub with water inside since it doubles the weight.
- First, check your local authorization to check if there’s a specific rule about water disposal and if it’s alright to dispose of the water in the yard or if they have a separate sewer.
- You’ll also need to follow the manufacturer’s directions.
- You can use a pump/hose/submersible pump to drain the water.
- Once you’re done, clean the hot tub wall with a cleaner and a soft absorbent towel.
(You may also love this: How to Raise Cyanuric Acid in Pool with 3 Simple Steps Safely)
Move the Hot Tub
- Place plywood underneath the hot tub to create a smooth and flat surface. It will also make it easier to roll the furniture dollies underneath the spa.
- With the help of a few people, slowly lift every corner of the hot tub onto the wood.
- Once it’s ready, slide a dolly underneath the front and back ends of the hot tub. Please ensure that it sits firmly on the two dollies.
- Use moving straps to ensure that the hot tub doesn’t fall off the dollies.
- On the other hand, your friends need to hold the hot tub on all sides which means one helper in the back, one in the front, and one on either side of the hot tub.
Load to the Truck
- For this process, you may need your friends to push the tub up the loading ramp.
- Make sure at least one helper gets inside the truck to ensure that the hot tub is secure.
- Keep the dollies in place so that you can easily unload the hot tub once you’ve reached the destination.
- Also, make sure to secure the hot tub to the sides of the truck to prevent it from shifting while in transit.
(You may also love this: How to Remove Fence Post That is Rotten All by Yourself with Only 3 Steps)
Moving a hot tub is indeed not an easy job, whether it’s within your home or to a new house. We hope that this tutorial can help you to move your hot tub easily and safely!