No matter who they are, we are sure that every homeowner has had this experience where their children or themselves are locked inside a room without a key. Whether you’re moving into a new house, losing the key, an old doorknob, or other reasons, being locked inside a room can be very frustrating and stressful, especially when it comes to children. Of course, when the situation is urgent or dangerous, it would be best to just kick the door and destroy the doorknobs.
However, in this article, we will only talk about the locked door in our daily life where you can fix it by yourself. You may have known that there are some tricks that you can do to open locked doors by using tools that we use daily. It’s always good to try some methods first before calling a locksmith because you might have to spend more money.
(We would also recommend this: 6 Quick Steps on How to Prime a Pool Pump All by Yourself)
Just in case you might need this, we have a simple tutorial on how to pick a bedroom lock using household items. So just keep reading!
HOW TO PICK A BEDROOM DOOR LOCK
Identify the Door Type
Generally, there are two types of locks that are used often for interior doors. To differentiate these lock types, you’re able to tell from the slot or hole that is located outside the doorknob.
- The first type is a push-in type that usually has a button on the knob to lock the door from the inside. The key point that you can spot from this lock type is it usually has a small hole with a diameter about 1/4-inch outside the knob,
- The second type is a twist-button type that is turned right or left to function with a small slot about half an inch in length and 1/8-inch wide.
(We would also recommend this: How to Build a Wire Fence for Backyard with 7 Steps | Easy DIY Project)
Trick 1: Use the Card
This one is probably one of the well-known tools that many use to open a locked door. Before using it, please make sure that you use non-confidential cards like identification, credit, and debit card. A grocery membership, loyalty, library, and stiff business card can be a good choices to use.
- Start this step from above the door handle by sliding the card into the gap between the frame and the door.
- Tilt it towards the knob and bend it to slide.
- Lean on the door while wiggling the card back and forth until the door unlocks.
You can also refer to these steps if you will use a knife but please be careful when using this tool. We would recommend using a butter knife, spreader, or something that doesn’t have a sharp blade.
(We would also recommend this: 8 Simple Steps on How to Install Above Ground Pool All by Yourself)
Trick 2: Pin and Paper Clip
This trick is also one of the widely used tricks that you may have seen numerous times in movies. To be able to use this tip, you can use hairpins, heavy-duty paperclips, or other stiff bits of wire.
- Bend the clip or pin apart to make a long and straight piece of metal.
- If the lock is a push-button type, insert it directly into the hole until you feel some resistance, then push.
- For a twisting type, you have to insert the pin into the keyhole and twist the knob while wiggling the pin at the same time until it catches on something, then apply pressure. To open a twist-lock, you should sweep the item both clockwise and counter-clockwise until the lock releases.
- You should hear a click that indicates the door is unlocked.
(We would also recommend this: How to Install Above Ground Pool Liner: 5 Quick Steps to Get It Ready)
Trick 3: Remove the Knob
The last trick is your last hope if the tricks above get you nothing. You may want to consider the time that you need to do this step.
- For most privacy doors, the knob is held by two screws that are visible outside.
- By using a screwdriver, undo these screws.
- Once the screws are loosened, place the screwdriver into the lock of the door handle and twist it gently to release the lock.
- Apply some pressure to the knob by pulling on the loosened screws.
- In some cases, the screws are hidden behind a decorative collar. If this is the case, remove them first by inserting a clip into the small hole of the collar or gently prying the collar with a flathead screwdriver.
(We would also recommend this: How to Winterize an Intex Above Ground Pool with Only 6 Easy Steps)
No one wants to experience this but it’s better to know things that are useful either for others or yourself. This guide is only applicable to daily life where you are not in a rush and can still think ‘clear’ with calm. We hope that this guide can be helpful and useful information for you so that you can save slightly more than calling a locksmith.